- Skip to content
- Accessibility Help
Discursive writing presents an argument related to a given topic. It can either examine both sides of the issue in a balanced way or argue persuasively on one side only.
- Read more about sharing
In a discursive piece you are expected to discuss a given topic and present an argument related to it.
Organising a discursive essay
There are two basic types of discursive essay. Firstly there are persuasive essays in which you can argue strongly either in favour of or against a given discussion.
Alternatively, there are argumentative essays. In these you look at a discussion topic in a balanced way.
Finding information for a discursive essay
There are many sources you can use to find information for your discursive essay. These include:
- relevant books from a library
- online sources
- magazines and newspapers
- television and video
- family members
When looking in the library, focus on the non-fiction and reference sections. When searching online, always think carefully about key words.
Make sure you consider the reliability of all your sources. It is important you keep a note of where all your information comes from. This will allow you to check it again later and to complete your bibliography and footnotes.
National 5 Subjects National 5 Subjects up down
- Application of Maths
- Art and Design
- Business management
- Computing Science
- Design and manufacture
- Engineering science
- Fashion and textile technology
- Gaelic (Learners)
- Graphic communication
- Health and food technology
- Modern Languages
- Modern Studies
- Music Technology
- Physical Education
- Religious, moral and philosophical studies
English National 5 Essay Examples Available
The English Department have sent more resources for National 5 critical essay revision to this site for inclusion.
They take the form of exemplar timed essays on the novels studied in the course: Stone Cold, Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm.
Find them on the dedicated critical essay revision page . The PDF files are named according to: the novel they are concerned with; whether they are the first or second example (1 or 2); and each example is numbered into parts – (i) – (iv).
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
S3parents’ evening, s2 parents’ evening, s1 parents’ evening.
- Past Papers
- National Qualifications > Subjects > English > National 5 > National 5 English
National 5 English
Updates and announcements, subject updates.
- October 2019 subject update (181 KB)
- October 2018 subject update (267 KB)
Course modifications 2022-23 (18/08/22)
National Course modification summary: English
Alternative certification model
The alternative certification model is how National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher courses will be resulted this year, following the cancellation of the 2021 exams. It involves five different stages.
View the alternative certification model and see what will happen at each stage.
This explains the overall structure of the Course, including its purpose and aims and information on the skills, knowledge and understanding that will be developed.
- N5 English Course Specification July 2018
2022 revision support for learners ( Mar 2022 )
We have updated this document to provide information on the modifications made to course assessments (coursework and exams) at the start of academic year 2021-22.
- 2022 revision support for learners: National 5 English
Past Papers and Marking Instructions
Access all past papers by subject/level
Additional question papers resources
These illustrate the standard, structure and requirements of the question papers learners will sit. These also include marking instructions.
- English: Reading for Understanding, Analysis and Evaluation Specimen Question Paper National 5 June 2018
- English: Critical Reading Specimen Question Paper National 5 October 2018
There were no exams in 2021. The 2020-21 question paper resources are, for most subjects, modified papers which reflect the modifications put in place for session 2020-21
- National 5 English Critical Reading question paper
- National 5 English Reading for Understanding, Analysis and Evaluation question paper
- National 5 English Critical Reading marking instructions
- National 5 English Reading for Understanding, Analysis and Evaluation marking instructions
Coursework ( 06/12/2022 )
This section provides information on marking instructions and/or the coursework assessment task(s). It includes information that centres need to administer coursework and must be read in conjunction with the course specification.
- Instructions for the submission of National 5 and Higher English coursework December 2022
- English Coursework Template - Microsoft Word
- English Coursework Template - Google Docs
- Coursework assessment task for National 5 English
- Guidance on conditions of assessment
Information on the production and submission of SQA-assessed coursework for National 5, Higher and Advanced Higher.
- Coursework for External Assessment (261 KB)
Understanding Standards ( 23/01/2023 )
Please note: for session 2022-23 there are modifications to this course. understanding standards materials should therefore be viewed along with the national course modification summary available in the course information 2022-23 section..
- Examples of candidate evidence with commentaries
Course assessment overview
National 5 english webinar (changes to course assessment from academic session 2017-18 onwards).
- Download webinar
- Overview of Course Assessment Presentation with audio (2 minutes)
- Overview of Question Paper Presentation with audio (4 minutes)
Changes to understanding standards materials
- Changes to published Understanding Standards materials
Please note: Understanding Standards materials are regularly reviewed to ensure they remain up to date.
Additional resources session 2021-22
Please note: Additional Understanding Standards resources published during sessions 2020-2022 are currently under review.
New – new materials not previously published
Updated – published in 2020/21 but amended for 2021/22
Carried forward – published in 2020/21 carried forward to 2021/22
- New - Question paper 2 Critical Reading commentaries and evidence
- New - Question Paper 1: RUAE commentaries and evidence
- Carried forward - Overview of Understanding Standards resources - RUAE, critical reading and portfolio
The pre-recorded webinars below and accompanying presentations can be found on SQA's secure website. You can access these through your SQA co-ordinator.
- Question paper 1 - pre-recorded webinar and accompanying presentation.
- Question paper 2 - pre-recorded webinar and accompanying presentation.
Course reports ( September 2022 )
These reports provide information on the performance of candidates which it is hoped will be useful to teachers, lecturers and assessors in their preparation of candidates for future assessment.
- 2017 National 5 English Course report October 2017
- 2018 National 5 English Course Report August 2018
- 2019 National 5 English Course Report September 2019
- 2022 National 5 English Course Report September 2022
2021 Key Messages
The Alternative Certification Model included a national quality assurance activity, carried out in May 2021.
This report provides information on any common themes and key points from the evidence submitted.
- National 5 English 2020-21 key messages June 2021
- English Verification Key Messages Round 1 March 2017
- English and Communication Qualification Verification Summary Report June 2019 June 2019
Additional CPD support
Where any particular areas of concern are identified, which are not addressed by our Understanding Standards events or support materials, we will offer free continuing professional development (CPD) training, subject to request. CPD support is subject-specific and can be tailored to cover one or more qualification level. To find out more about this service visit our CPD page .
Scottish Texts in English Courses
Scottish text list for National 5 and Higher English courses:
- Scottish set text list 2018-19
In 2016, we carried out a consultation with teachers and other key stakeholders on the refresh of the Scottish set text list for National 5 and Higher English courses. Based on the findings of this consultation, we have refreshed the Scottish set text list for use from session 2018-19 onwards. The report below details the findings of our consultation.
- Summary Report: Scottish set text refresh consultation
Ushare open learning resources
Where can you take this course?
S4 National 5 – Persuasive Writing Materials
Below are the links to the materials to help you with your essay.
Roundabout-Proposal-Elgin – example essay
Tesco-persuasive-piece – example essay
Nat 5 and Higher Persuasive Writing guidelines – powerpoint used in class
Writing Persuasively at National Five STudent Guide – essay plan
Essay due Monday December 16th.
Leave a comment
Filed under Uncategorized
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Notify me of new posts via email.
- Search for:
- Higher – Scottish Text – CG
- Higher English – Link to Poetry Questions
- Flowers for Algernon Questions – Due March 10th
- S4 Nat 5 – Scottish Text
- S5 Higher – ‘Men Should Weep’ essay question
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- S3 Homework
- S4 National 5
- Entries feed
- Comments feed
- Already have a WordPress.com account? Log in now.
- Follow Following
- Copy shortlink
- Report this content
- View post in Reader
- Manage subscriptions
- Collapse this bar
Added Value Unit
The Strathaven Reads Canon
100 21st century novels list
BGE Resources (S1-S3)
S1-2 Rich Tasks
S2-3 Rich Tasks
Preparing for the S3 Assessment
S1 Parents Letter
S2 Parents Letter
S3 Parents Letter
Reading for Life – P7 Transition booklet
Write to …
S1 Literacy Challenge
S2 Literacy Challenge
S3 Literacy Challenge
BGE Close Reading Formulas
National 5 and National 6 Close Reading Formulas
National 5 and Higher RUAE Formulas
HOW TO READ AN ARTICLE
Nat 5 Discursive Writing pupil help sheets
Cornell method of note taking
N5 and N6 Revision – A Task a Day
How to write a bibliography – all levels
National 4 Resources
National 5 Resources
National 5 & Higher RUAE Preparation Task
N5 English RUAE Support Booklet
Helping your child with Higher National 5
National 5 Critical Essay Questions – prose
National 5 Critical Essay Questions – poetry
National 5 Critical Essay Questions – drama
High Quality National 5 Folio Examples
Higher Critical Essay Questions
High Quality Higher Folio Examples
Advanced Higher Resources
Advanced Higher Course
Support for National 4 , National 5 and National 6 English SQA – English
WEST OS has a wide range of recorded lessons for BGE and Senior Phase pupils:
For N5, Higher and Advanced Higher we would recommend the thousands of great resources on SCHOLAR
Both SCHOLAR and WEST OS have their own tiles on GLOW which we would recommend pupils add to their GLOW launch pad.
Other useful links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/levels http://www.rhsenglish.com/ www.englishbiz.co.uk www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/learningzone/ http://www.brightredbooks.net/Account/logon www.ltscotland.org.uk/knowledgeoflanguage/ www.bbc.co.uk/schools/bitesize/ www.ltscotland.org.uk/ www.higherstillnotes.co.uk/ www.sparknotes.com/ www.cliffsnotes.com/ http://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poetry/tags/sqa-national-5-texts http://www.scotlitangus.com/ http://www.scottishbooktrust.com/learning/teachers-librarians/teaching-resources-cpd/senior-phase http://www.shmoop.com/
National 5 English/Persuasive Topics
- Cambridge LLM admissions
- 2023 Veterinary Medicine Applicants
- SSE Graduate Scheme 2023
- Guy wont be friends?
- Grade Equivalency (Naric)
- Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2023 Thread
- Wider reading for Medicine
- Natwest 2023 Graduate Scheme
- diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 17
- 2023 Oxford Social Data Science OII
- Year 12 Tech Opportunities
- Degree Apprenticeship at Accenture (assessment centre)
- What food gets stuck between your teeth?
- Accept Interview UCAS
- My boyfriend doesn't csre about me
- a level chem ocr
- 2022 History Cold War exam
- Official LSE Postgraduate Applicants 2023 Thread
- Consulting grad schemes 2023 thread
- Design engineering imperial 2023 applicants
- Durham clearing
- Petrol station tyre pressure pumps
- Official UCL 2023 Undergraduate Applicants Thread
- me v procrastination!
- The Russell Group hurt/heal game (Part 5)
- Pharmacy 2023 - applicants thread
- Is homeschooling possible for A levels?
- The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2023 Watch
- Official: Barts and the London (QMUL) A100 2023 Entry Applicant and Offer Holders
- business and japanese at cardiff uni?
- Official: University of Dundee A100 2023 Entry
- Official University of the Arts London 2023 Applicants Thread
- Plucking Serene Dreams From Golden Trees. [Blog]
- Official: Hull York Medical School A100 2023 Entry
- The Arsenal Thread XXV
- Indicators of interest
- Durham University 2023 Applicants
- Reading week 2023
- The Liverpool FC Thread XVII
- higher english port folio
- crashing higher history or geography?
- s6 subject choices
- Too many subjects?
- taking higher maths again for a better grade?
- Is one advanced higher enough
- I need to go from a D to an A in Higher Spanish until the 28th April
- higher English folio essay
- 4 advanced highers
- S6 course choice dilemma
- Law Application 2023
- How big is the jump from highers to advanced highers?
- tips for highers
- How much work should I be doing for 5 As?
- Can I crash Higher Philosophy?
- crash highers
- Setting Highers by End of S5
- University of Strathclyde mPharm Entry
- should I ask my teacher
- Advanced higher subjects for medicine
National 5 Discursive Discursive writing presents an argument related to a given topic. It can either examine both sides of the issue in a balanced way or argue persuasively on one side only....
persuasive techniques. Conclusion • Sum up the points that you have made. • Use persuasive techniques throughout. • End in a particularly persuasive way. Tips on Style: You may wish to use rhetorical questions to involve the reader in your essay and encourage them to consider more closely the points you are making.
The English Department have sent more resources for National 5 critical essay revision to this site for inclusion. They take the form of exemplar timed essays on the novels studied in the course: Stone Cold, Of Mice and Men and Animal Farm. Find them on the dedicated critical essay revision page .
5. Destroy the opposing argument It is important to mention the opposing side of the argument in your essay. However, when you do this you must make sure that you prove that the opposing argument is wrong. You must destroy the opposing argument. Otherwise, you will undermine your own argument!
National 5 and Higher English Folio Videos SQA National 5 English - The Persuasive Essay 1 myetutor 1.06K subscribers Subscribe 4.7K views 8 years ago Writing a persuasive essay for...
National 5 English - Course overview and resources - SQA Home National Qualifications > Subjects > English > National 5 > National 5 English National 5 English English National 3 National 4 National 5 Higher Adv Higher Subject updates Course modifications 2022-23 (18/08/22) Course Specification When are the exams?
S4 National 5 – Persuasive Writing Materials Guys, Below are the links to the materials to help you with your essay. Roundabout-Proposal-Elgin – example essay Tesco-persuasive-piece – example essay Nat 5 and Higher Persuasive Writing guidelines – powerpoint used in class Writing Persuasively at National Five STudent Guide – essay plan
National 5 & Higher RUAE Preparation Task Helping your child with Higher National 5 Higher Critical Essay Questions Higher course High Quality Higher Folio Examples Advanced Higher Resources Advanced Higher Course Useful Links Useful Links Support for National 4 , National 5 and National 6 English SQA – English
National 5 English/Persuasive Topics A tommcmillan_ 2 Doing folio work. trying to write a persuasive piece but struggling for an idea. Would like something funny or quite out there. Any ideas please?, Posted from TSR Mobile Reply 1 8 years ago A allybop99 2